Sunday, April 4, 2010

Eye Opener

462 Children's Literature
I am currently enrolled in a class that addresses the issues of diversity in children's literature. After taking the prerequisite of simply children's literature in general I was already excited to explore even more into these pages and what is really behind the illustrations and print. This class however is a little more indepth and has opened my eyes not only to the world of children's literature, but also to many societal issues that I was simply ill informed about. We have explored issues of multiculturalism, diversity, identity, and have read books based on middle eastern, native americans, urban areas, disabilities, and even GLBT (Gay, lesbian, bisexual, trandgender). The books that were chosen to represent the issues that go along with these topics are considered to be a good representation, yet we are to look further and ask ourselves questions throughout each book and reflect. I have continuously had my eyes opened to many of these topics by reading these books and the articles that have given me background information. This is exactly what needs to happen when using children's literature in the classroom. Books need to be chosen to correctly depict certain things and the students need to be exposed and informed about each topic and it's issues. I am personally going through this transfermation as a college student and don't see why I should not have been exposed sooner to expose me to the stereotypes I never even realized that were stereotypical.

No comments:

Post a Comment