Monday, April 12, 2010

Just for Fun

SANY5631
I know that I have already expressed my love for coaching and kids. But I have also began to recognize the different benefits that the sport of gymnastics has along with other sports. One of the classes I am currently teaching has 2 and 3 year olds in it however; their parents do come out with them which makes it seem less crazy! I know that it still sounds pretty difficulte but really I just set up different obstical courses using the various pieces of equiptment. There is a lot of coordination that is aquired from climbing, jumping, hanging, balancing, and rolling which is important at such an age. The kids are in a structured environment with other kids, and their parents to help them follow the different rules and listen to the directions that are given. I think that something like this is great even if you don't care for the sport of gymnastics just to get them out their with other kids and start working on skills that can only improve. I have also had a child with cerebral palsy in one of my classes because it was recommended for him to do something like this that required to use his different muscles while coordinating them as well.

5 comments:

  1. This picture is so cute. It is so great that you get to combine two things you really enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That is a picture of my nephew that lives in Las Vegas. I visited him over spring break and couldn't help but find a gym to take him to to play! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt that there are benefits to children participating in sports. Not only are there obvious physical benefits, but children also benefit socailly. Also there is an epidemic of over diagnosed ADD and ADHD in our schools and there has to be a correlation to recesses begin cut and the poor nutrition of school lunches. Students who are given thses labels would also benefit and hopefully lose the label if they were given a productive outlet for htier energy. I know not all teams sports are for everyone, but I really do think there is a club for everyone. I have seen thereputic horseback riding working for children with special needs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I agree with you Megan. I actually was quite the hyper child and my brother was diagnosed with ADD, and when my mom was taking him to see someone about it they said that I was actually going to be worse than he was. I think that being able to get rid of my energy while learning how to focus it helped me out a lot. Now that I am no longer actually doing the sport though I find myself needing to find other ways to get rid of it in order to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing about you taking your nephew - that picture is adorable! I think it is so great that you love coaching and teaching so much, you can totally tell how passionate you are about it just in the way you write! Those skills will totally help if you are willing to coach and teach at the same time.

    ReplyDelete