Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Smart Boards

Smartboard
Yesterday I had my first smartboard experience however; I don't really think I got out if it what I could have. I have always been really curious as to exactly what they are all about and what they are really able to do, and I feel as if they are able to do a lot more than what I was able to do in the short amount of time I got to play around with it. I think that this is something that I would want a little more instruction with what I'm sure is many possibilities. From what I was able to work with and figure out, I feel like a SmartBoard would be more of a tool used within the elementary level rather than a high school age. Many of the tools and activities that come with the smart board seem to be more directed for these ages, however I am sure there are other things that would be helpful for the upper levels as well. There are other activities that are on the smartboard website that give what age group that specific activity is meant for and you are also able to look up the state standards that correlate.
One thing that I feel would be a great social studies or geography lesson would be working with google earth on the smartboard. This would allow them to be able to see the different states and countries as a whole and then see how different landmarks fit into the bigger picture without having to move from one map to the next, along with multiple other ways to show various places around the world and even space.

3 comments:

  1. Smartboards are overwhelming and I think that they do work really well in elementary classes, but I have also seen them working really well in the middle school classroom I am in. I think that they are just a tool that needs some time to learn and figure out how to best apply it in whatever grade you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that Smartboards can be a great tool! Hayley, I like the idea that you came up with to use google maps while using a Smartboard. I can already see how that would be a great lesson for children to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea,I feel like it is something that is easiest to learn by just getting use to it and picking up things as you go. Also getting use to the way the touch screen works.

    ReplyDelete